Remixing Songs without stems
Since I had a lot of remixes come out in November, I want to talk about my process for remixing songs that I can't find decent studio acapellas for. When I consider making a remix, I always keep in mind that I have to like the song since I do have to listen to it for hours on end.
First, I open up a new project and drag the song into a new audio channel. Then I add an Equalizer (EQ) to take out the low end of the song. I do this because you cant have low end interfering within a song and the vocals are in the higher end of the audio spectrum.
After I set up the original, I start adding in drums and chords. since I have to overlap them over the original chords from the song, I have to learn how to play the same song in order to stay in key. So if the song is played in F# then I cant use a G scale.
Once I have a good idea on what I want the song to sound like, I begin adding on more layers and harmonics to make the song sound full. I add in different risers and crashes to distinguish the differences between the break, rise, and drop.
Lastly when I'm content with the song structure, drop, and sound, I try to master the song by making sure that the song isn't too loud and that certain elements that I want stick out.
Once everything is done, I download the album/single art and add my name to it and upload it all on to soundcloud.

No comments:
Post a Comment